When I was 7 I went for my first run. I ran along the winding roads near the lake house my family had rented for a couple of weeks. I was just following my mom and sister, looking for something to do. What I found was a freedom that I have remembered and carried with me ever since.
I love running! I also hate running (sometimes).
When I was in college in Colorado Uta Pippig made for some exciting Boston Marathon news, and I enjoyed a kind of hometown pride for the race itself, having grown up in NH (close enough to Boston that I have always looked at it as “my city”). At the time, I could barely run a mile, but I knew that I wanted to be part of the Boston Marathon someday.
It turned out that 2015 was my Boston Marathon year. I took a leap and applied to run for the American Liver Foundation team. It was a pretty big leap, considering the fundraising commitment was $5,000 on top of the race entry and application fee ($300 +). The universe rewarded me for that leap with acceptance to the team. I trained through the snowiest winter on record for the Boston area, and ran 26.2 from Hopkinton to Boston in April. In the process, I wrote here about my training.
I’m still running, training, eating, and writing about it occasionally. I’m flattered if you have read this far.
- Boston Marathon (Boston, MA) 2015 (4:59:32)
- Marine Corps Marathon (Washington, D.C.) 2014 (5:14:04)
- Bay State Marathon (Lowell, MA) 2008 (4:57:34)
Half Marathons: (6)
- Newburyport Half-Marathon (2:11:46)
- Greenstride Half Marathon (Newburyport, MA) 2015 (2:07:22)
- Run to the Rock (Plymouth, MA) 2015 (2:25:28)
- Boston’s Run to Remember (Boston, MA) 2014 (2:07:38)
- Mohawk-Hudson Half-Marathon (Albany, NY) 2013 (2:33:40)
- Smuttynose Rockfest Half Marathon (Portsmouth, NH) 2013 (2:06:08)
- Smuttynose Rockfest Half Marathon (Portsmouth, NH) 2011 (2:11:23)
- Falmouth Road Race (Falmouth, MA) 2013
- Yankee Homecoming Old Fashioned Ten Miler (Newburyport, MA) 2012, 2013, 2014
- Doyle’s Emerald Necklace 5-mile (Jamaica Plain, MA) 2013
- An Ras Mor 5K (Cambridge, MA) 2013
- 5K Resolution Run to Kick Cancer (Lexington, MA) 2013
- Festivus 5K (Salem, MA) 2012
- Jingle Bell Run 5K (Metuchen, NJ) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Medway Turkey Trot 5K (Medway, MA) 2012
- Timlin Memorial 5K (Hopkinton, MA) 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012
- Smuttynose Will Run for Beer 5K (Hampton, NH) 2012, 2013
- Keeping the Beat 5K for Children’s Hospital (Hull, MA) 2011
- Holliston 5K for Children’s Hospital (Holliston, MA) 2008
- Chilmark Road Race (Chilmark, MA) 2005, 2006
- Danskin Women’s Triathlon (Devens, MA) 2002
- Tufts 10K (Boston, MA) 2000
- Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (NYC, NY) 2000